Tickets to night trains
Overnight to the north or south
Travel on a night train and experience the unique atmosphere in northern Finland or go on a holiday in the south in Turku or Helsinki. Our comfortable sleeper cars will take you there and you can also take your car with you on night trains.
Buy your ticket for a night train
Add a car on your trip from the passenger menu.
Seat or own cabin?
Relax and rest in your own cabin when travelling on a night train. For a shorter journey a cheaper seat ticket is a good choice.
Would you like to travel in a private cabin?
We have sleeper cabins for various needs and situations. The cabin is always reserved for you or your group, we do not sell individual sleeping berths in cabins.
Upstairs or downstairs?
- Add luxury to your journey with an upstairs cabin which has a shower and toilet.
- The downstairs cabins are more inexpensive, with showers and toilets along the aisles.
- You can also choose to purchase a ticket for a seat, which usually has a lower price than a sleeper cabin.
- Cabins are for 1–2 or 1–3 people.
- You can also select an adjoining downstairs cabin (2 + 2 persons), with a partition that can be opened. You can book these cabins via our customer service.
- The cabins have bunk beds.
- Our night trains also have accessible and pet cabins.
- At the moment, we are not selling sleeping berths in shared cabins, which means that the cabin is always safely used by only you and your travel companions.
- Children between the ages of 0 and 10 travel on night trains for free when sharing a berth with another passenger. However, note that the beds are 0.75 metres wide and 2.00 metres long. Travelling will be more comfortable when you book separate beds for bigger children.
- Please make sure that an adult always accompanies a small child in the sleeper cabin. Here are more detailed tips for the night train if you are traveling with children
- For the time being, you can only buy seat tickets for night trains in the VR Matkalla app. Our aim is to have sleeper cabins available there as soon as possible. Thank you for your patience!
Children on night trains
Children under 11 years of age can travel for free on night trains in the same sleeping cabin as their parents if they don't need a separate sleeping berth.Children on night trains
Accessible night trains
All of our night trains have accessible sleeping cabins with a floor area of 4 m2.Accessible night trains
Cars on night trains
Travel by night train and continue your journey well rested in the morning with your own car. A car spot starting from €39 and a motorcycle from €29, the price for a sleeper cabin + a car spot can be as inexpensive as €88 (cabin €49 and car €39).
Free assistant ticket
If you have an illness or injury and you need assistance during your journey, you may be eligible for a free assistant ticket. The assistant must travel the same leg as the assisted person.
Cancellation insurance gives you peace of mind if your travel plans are not yet fixed. Thanks to cancellation insurance, you can cancel your train ticket or entire cabin and get back the price of your journey if your plans change. Vehicles are covered by their own cancellation insurance.Read more
No discounts are applicable to night train cabins. Children, students, pensioners and conscripts are eligible for a discount on other long-distance train tickets. Persons travelling with a visually impaired or a disabled person may travel for free with an assistant’s ticket.Read more
Group discountsTrain trips for more than 18 persons
Price depends on the group size, travel date and the selected train. Contact our Group Sales for more detailed price information.
Top 3 night trains
The most popular route of all time is Helsinki–Rovaniemi, the second most popular train route is Helsinki–Kolari and Tampere–Rovaniemi is number three.
Tip for trainspotters
Take advantage of the longer stop when travelling on a train to Kolari. That's when the electric locomotive is switched to a diesel one. That's because the railway line from Kemi to Kolari is not electrified.