When should I get cancellation insurance?
You can cancel your journey if your plans change. The price of the train ticket and the additional services purchased will be refunded to you. The cancellation insurance fee will not be refunded.
Your safety is important to us
We have compiled tips for ensuring your train travel is as safe as possible. You find the most current information concerning train travel as well as the most frequently asked questions here.
Cancellation insurance lets you plan your journey flexibly
- Thanks to cancellation insurance, you can cancel your train ticket or entire cabin and get back the price of your journey if your plans change.
- Cancellation insurance is available for single tickets of long-distance traffic seats and cabins.
Seats (single tickets)
- The price of cancellation insurance is EUR 5–19 per passenger and direction, depending on the length of your journey.
Day train compartments and sleeper cabins
- Cancellation insurance always applies to the entire cabin or compartment
and does not allow cancelling individual seats. The price includes cancelling the entire cabin or compartment.
- Night train sleeper cabins: You can buy cancellation insurance for a cabin from the vr.fi website, (example price for a two-person sleeper cabin from Helsinki to Rovaniemi EUR 19–38).
Day train compartments: You can buy cancellation insurance for a compartment from the vr.fi website and the VR Matkalla app.
Information about cancellation insurance
Cancellation insurance costs EUR 5–19 per ticket and direction, depending on the length of your journey. No discounts are offered on cancellation insurance.
Cancellation insurance must be bought at the same time as the ticket. You can buy cancellation insurance from:
- The vr.fi website and from the VR Matkalla app when buying a ticket
- VR ticket sales at stations
- VR's customer support by phone, tel. 0100 3232 (0,06 €/min, Mon-Fri 5 am – 10 pm and Sat-Sun 7 am - 10 pm)
Cancellation insurance must be paid at the same time as the ticket. Cancellation insurance cannot be bought afterwards.
You can make a cancellation easily on the vr.fi website: log in, click My tickets and then you can find Cancel the journey. If you are not logged in, you can cancel your journey with this form, at VR ticket sales at stations or by phone via VR's customer support, tel. 0100 3232 (0,06 €/min, Mon-Fri 5 am – 10 pm and Sat-Sun 7 am - 10 pm).
You can also cancel your trip in the MR Matkalla app. If you have booked a compartment or a sleeper cabin for your trip, it is currently only possible to cancel compartments for day trains though the app.
Tickets bought from an R-kioski can be cancelled at an R-kioski.
If you cancel your journey, the price of the ticket and any additional services purchased will be refunded. However, please note that the cost of the cancellation insurance will not be refunded.
You can request a refund with this form, at VR ticket sales at stations or by phone via VR's customer support, tel. 0100 3232 (0,06 €/min, Mon-Fri 5 am – 10 pm and Sat-Sun 7 am - 10 pm).
For tickets bought from an R-kioski, you can request a refund at an R-kioski.
Night trains and car-carrier trains
Cancellation insurance always applies to the entire sleeper cabin and the price includes cancelling the entire cabin. Cancellation insurance cannot be added to car-carrier train packages, but you can cancel your package up to 7 days before departure. The fee is 10% of the ticket price.
Wondering whether to get cancellation insurance?
Cancellation insurance is a good choice especially when the tickets are expensive and you would feel sorry if you ended up not using them. If you cancel the journey, the price of cancellation insurance is low and it can help you save a lot of money.