When should I get cancellation insurance?
You can cancel your journey if your plans change. The price of the train ticket and the additional services purchased will be refunded to you. The cancellation insurance fee will not be refunded. The journey must be cancelled before the train’s scheduled departure. Cancellation insurance costs €5–19 on top of your ticket, depending on the length of your journey, and it is paid for at the same time as the train ticket.
Cancellation insurance lets you plan your journey flexibly
- Thanks to cancellation insurance, you can cancel your train ticket or entire cabin and get back the price of your journey if your plans change.
- Cancellation insurance is available for single tickets of long-distance traffic seats and cabins.
Cancellation insurance is purchased with the ticket. It can no longer be purchased after buying or changing the ticket.
Seats (single tickets)
- The price of cancellation insurance is EUR 5–19 per passenger and direction, depending on the length of your journey.
Day train compartments and sleeper cabins
- Cancellation insurance always applies to the entire cabin or compartment
and does not allow cancelling individual seats. The price includes cancelling the entire cabin or compartment.
- Night train sleeper cabins: You can buy cancellation insurance for a cabin from the vr.fi website, (example price for a two-person sleeper cabin from Helsinki to Rovaniemi EUR 19–38).
Day train compartments: You can buy cancellation insurance for a compartment from the vr.fi website and the VR Matkalla app.
Information about cancellation insurance
Night and car-carrier trains
The cancellation insurance always applies to the entire sleeper cabin and includes cancelling the entire cabin. Vehicle cancellation insurance is available for cars and motorcycles travelling on car-carrier trains, which allows you to cancel your night train vehicle space reservation and get a full refund of the price. Vehicle space cancellation must be done at the latest 72 h before the scheduled departure of the train.
A vehicle cancellation does not cancel the entire journey, but the vehicle can be cancelled separately from the rest of the journey. Vehicle cancellation insurance will therefore only cover the vehicle (journey cancellation insurance is available for the entire journey and other additional services).
Information about vehicle cancellation insurance
Wondering whether to get cancellation insurance?
Cancellation insurance is a good choice especially when the tickets are expensive and you would feel sorry if you ended up not using them. If you cancel the journey, the price of cancellation insurance is low and it can help you save a lot of money.