When should I get cancellation insurance?
You can cancel your journey if your plans change. The price of the train ticket and the additional services purchased will be refunded to you. The cancellation insurance fee will not be refunded.
Your safety is important to us
We have compiled tips for ensuring your train travel is as safe as possible. You find the most current information concerning train travel as well as the most frequently asked questions here.
Cancellation insurance lets you plan your journey flexibly
- Thanks to cancellation insurance, you can cancel your ticket or the whole cabin and get refunded if your plans change.
- The price of cancellation insurance is EUR 5–19 per ticket and direction, depending on the length of your journey.
- You can buy cancellation insurance for single tickets, the whole compartment or sleeper cabin. Cancellation insurance always concerns the entire cabin; it does not cover the cancellation of individual seats of the cabin.
- You can also buy cancellation insurance for a ticket with a cabin from the vr.fi website or from the VR Matkalla app.
Information about cancellation insurance
Cancellation insurance costs EUR 5–19 per ticket and direction, depending on the length of your journey. No discounts are offered on cancellation insurance.
Cancellation insurance must be bought at the same time as the ticket. You can buy cancellation insurance from:
- The vr.fi website and from the VR Matkalla app when buying a ticket
- VR ticket sales at stations
- VR's customer support by phone, tel. 0800 166 888 (Mon–Fri from 5 a.m. to 10 p.m., Sat–Sun and public holidays from 7 a.m. to 10 p.m., calling the number is free of charge)
Cancellation insurance must be paid at the same time as the ticket. Cancellation insurance cannot be bought afterwards.
You can make a cancellation easily on the vr.fi website: log in, click My tickets and then you can find Cancel the journey. If you are not logged in, you can cancel your journey with this form, at VR ticket sales at stations or by phone via VR's customer support, tel. 0800 166 888 (Mon–Fri from 5 a.m. to 10 p.m., Sat–Sun and public holidays from 7 a.m. to 10 p.m., calling the number is free of charge).
You can also cancel your trip in the MR Matkalla app. If you have booked a compartment or a sleeper cabin for your trip, it is currently only possible to cancel compartments for day trains though the app.
Tickets bought from an R-kioski can be cancelled at an R-kioski.
If you cancel your journey, the price of the ticket and any additional services purchased will be refunded. However, please note that the cost of the cancellation insurance will not be refunded.
You can request a refund with this form, at VR ticket sales at stations or by phone via VR's customer support, tel. 0800 166 888 (Mon–Sun from 5 a.m. to 10 p.m., calling the number is free of charge).
For tickets bought from an R-kioski, you can request a refund at an R-kioski.
Night trains and car-carrier trains
You can cancel a ticket for a night train if you bought cancellation insurance. Cancellation insurance cannot be added to car-carrier train packages, but you can cancel your package up to 7 days before departure. The fee is 10% of the ticket price.
Wondering whether to get cancellation insurance?
Cancellation insurance is a good choice especially when the tickets are expensive and you would feel sorry if you ended up not using them. If you cancel the journey, the price of cancellation insurance is low and it can help you save a lot of money.