Hop on a train and boost your everyday

Give your car a day off

Learn about the benefits of train travel

Give your car a day off every now and then and give the train a chance. At the same time, you'll get more ‘me time’ and save not only time but also potentially travel expenses. In addition, the environment thanks you for your green choice.

On board towards better things.
Buy tickets

Work on the train

Make your everyday commute more comfortable and choose the train. There's a wide range of ticket types to choose from and ancillary services to increase your comfort and make your trip even more enjoyable.

Have a look at options

Why should I choose train travel?

We know how much you may love your car. Yet we encourage you to try the train for everyday commute or holiday trips. Go ahead and surprise yourself!

Choose the train and save money

Train travel is often cheaper than driving a car.

Read more

Faster by train

In addition to being able to relax on the train and focus on what you like to do, you can also save time by choosing the train!

Read more

Have more time for yourself

Instead of having to drive, you can focus on what you really want to do.

Read more

Green choice

Switch to all-electric, board a train! Taking the train is always an environmentally friendly choice.

Read more
Continue with local transport

If your trip starts or ends in the HSL area, you can travel to or from the station easily with HSL. You can buy a single HSL ticket via the VR Matkalla app as a connection to your train ticket, which means that you have the entire transport network of HSL at your disposal.

Smooth parking in capital region

Our park-and-ride service makes both commuting and weekend trips easier! Leave your car in the departure station’s park-and-ride area. When you have purchased a train ticket, you can park for free or very inexpensively at selected stations in the capital region for up to 48 hours.

Smoother travel with first and last mile connections

FLEXIBLY TO THE DESTINATION

Journeys with first and last-mile connections combine multiple modes of transport. For example, you can first travel by train and then continue your journey on a local bus, rented car, or taxi.

Learn more

Why choose the train?

Save money by traveling on the tracks

Taking the train is usually more affordable than private driving. Especially when using a multi-ticket, the cost of one journey is often less than the same route taken by car when using fuel prices as the comparison. Note that this doesn't even include all the other expenses of the car.

Check route specific price comparisons

Back up

The train is the faster choice

Examples of routes where the train is a much faster way to travel than a car:

  • Helsinki–Seinäjoki
  • Lappeenranta–Helsinki
  • Helsinki–Joensuu
  • Kuopio–Helsinki

You also save time by not having to hunt for a parking space at your destination!

Go back

Have more time to yourself

Instead of having to drive, you can focus on what you really want to do. You can prepare for the new working day or go through the day's e-mails while sipping your coffee. On the other hand, you can also take a well-deserved break and watch an episode of your favourite series, knit a sock or take a nap.

When you travel by train, coffee breaks do not require a separate stop at a gas station. Take your time enjoying the services of the restaurant car as you approach your destination.

Go back

Train is a climate-smart choice

Switch to fully electric power! 95% of our trains run on fossil-free electricity, and the remaining 5% run on non-electrified routes. When you choose the train, you make a choice that protects the environment.

Read more about responsibility of train travel.

Go back