Travel between the south and the north safely in your own cabin.
Night on a train
Let Lapland’s magic enchant you! You can now buy night train trips until August 2022, private cabins starting from EUR 49, cabins with shower starting from EUR 69.
Buy your ticket for a night train
Add a car on your trip from the passenger menu.
Onward connections to LaplandPublic transport to ski resorts
Night trains run to Rovaniemi, Kolari and Kemijärvi. Hop on a bus, taxi or a rental car for to reach your final destination. You can also take your car along on your night train journey.
Train is the greenest choice for travel to the NorthGETTING THE CLIMATE BACK ON TRACK
Train is the most environmentally friendly means of travelling. You can travel by train from Helsinki to Rovaniemi and back 50 times, whereas the same amount of emissions is produced during only one round trip by car.
Enjoy delicious food on a night train
You can now enjoy a delicious dinner, light snack, breakfast or brunch safely and comfortably in your cabin. Order the products from the conductor during ticket inspection and we will deliver them to your cabin.
Order your breakfast or brunch no later than at 01:00 the night before. Pay for the products by debit or credit card upon delivery.
Please note that we provide a breakfast service to cabins on northbound trains from Turku. On trains going from the north to Turku, we provide a dinner service to cabins.
Remember that the restaurant car is also at your service during your trip!
Travel by night train
We have sleeper cabins for various needs and situations.
Upstairs or downstairs?
- Add luxury to your journey with an upstairs cabin which has a shower and toilet.
- The downstairs cabins are more inexpensive, with showers and toilets along the aisles.
- You can also choose to purchase a ticket for a seat, which usually has a lower price than a sleeper cabin.
- Cabins are for 1–2 or 1–3 people.
- You can also select an adjoining downstairs cabin (2 + 2 persons), with a partition that can be opened. You can book these cabins via our customer service.
- The cabins have bunk beds.
- Our night trains also have accessible and pet cabins.
- At the moment, we are not selling sleeping berths in shared cabins, which means that the cabin is always safely used by only you and your travel companions.
- Children between the ages of 0 and 10 travel on night trains for free when sharing a berth with another passenger. However, note that the beds are 0.75 metres wide and 2.00 metres long. Travelling will be more comfortable when you book separate beds for bigger children.
- Please make sure that an adult always accompanies a small child in the sleeper cabin.
- For the time being, you can only buy seat tickets for night trains in the VR Matkalla app. Our aim is to have sleeper cabins available there as soon as possible. Thank you for your patience!
Pets on night trainsBest travel comfort for pets
Travel with your pet in a pet cabin for a EUR 4-8 surcharge per dog or pet carrier. The route usually includes some longer stops so you can take a walk. You can ask the conductor for more information.
Cars on night trains
Travel by night train and continue your journey well rested in the morning with your own car. A car spot starting from €39 and a motorcycle from €29, the price for a sleeper cabin + a car spot can be as inexpensive as €88 (cabin €49 and car €39).
Accessible travel on a night train
All night trains have accessible sleeper cabins which are located close to the car’s accessible entrance door. Accessible toilets are also located by the entrance. Guide, assistance or hearing dogs and pets travel with you free of charge.
Night train routes
Night and car-carrier trains take you from Helsinki or Turku to Rovaniemi, Kolari or Kemijärvi.
Unforgettable experience for children
Travelling on a night train is easy even with the smallest family members. A real bed guarantees better sleep than dozing in the back seat. In the morning you're ready to continue the journey well rested.
Where to put baggage?
Baggage usually fits well in the cabin, but in case you have a lot of it you can use the lockable storage space. Our conductors will gladly advice you with this.
Did you know?
The longest night trains are approximately 450 m long – almost half a kilometre.
Peak season for night trains
During the busiest nights in the ski season, as many as five night trains depart from Helsinki: two to Kolari and three to Rovaniemi.