Do you need help or more information? Did something not go as planned? Let us help you.
How can we help?
Points of purchase for tickets
You can buy tickets for long-distance and commuter traffic:
- VR Matkalla mobile app
- Station ticket offices
- Ticket vending machines
- VR customer service telephone
The point of purchase may depend on the ticket type. Check the ticket-specific points of purchase.
Discounts on tickets
Children, students, pensioners, senior citizens and conscripts are eligible for a discount.
Did you not receive the train ticket?
If you bought a train ticket, but it was never delivered, the purchase failed or you want the ticket to be sent to you again, please contact VR’s Customer Support:0100 3232 (cost 0,06 €/min + lnc/mcc)
Are you wondering which ticket is best for you?
Long-distance train tickets
Basic ticket, saver ticket & multi-ticket
- You can change the departure date and time for single tickets for long-distance traffic or single multi-ticket journeys prior to departure at station ticket offices or by calling VR’s Customer Support: 0100 3232 (cost 0,06 €/min + lnc/mcc).
- You can cancel a journey booked using your multi-ticket for long-distance trains by signing in to your account on this website or the VR Matkalla app. Cancellations for journeys booked using a multi-ticket can be made free of charge and up to 30 minutes before the scheduled departure of the train.
- If the journey includes a change of train, changes must be made before they journey begins. Please note that the route or direction of travel stated on the ticket cannot be changed.
- Changes are subject to a charge of €5/ticket. An additional €1 service fee is charged for changes made at ticket sales.
- Price difference is charged when changing a ticket to a more expensive train service. No refund is given when changing to a cheaper train.
Tickets to a car-carrier
Season tickets cannot be changed or cancelled.
Cancellation insurance for long-distance tickets
If you bought cancellation insurance when purchasing the ticket, you can cancel your ticket before departure and receive a refund. Cancellations can be made by logging in to vr.fi or the VR Matkalla app, or through this cancellation form. Read more about cancellation insurance.
Tickets for commuter traffic
Tickets for VR’s commuter traffic cannot be changed or cancelled.
Please note: If you bought your ticket through a retailer, please contact them directly if you want to make any changes or cancel the ticket.
The VR Matkalla app offers the easiest way to use multi-tickets.
Multi-ticket for long-distance traffic
Please remember to book your journey with your multi-ticket for long-distance trains before the train’s scheduled departure.
- Booking a journey with a multi-ticket works similarly to seat reservation.
- You will need your multi-ticket’s order number when booking a journey.
- You can also book a journey with your multi-ticket from VR Customer Support 0100 3232 (cost 0,06 €/min + lnc/mcc). We will send you your ticket by email or SMS. You can also pick your ticket up from a station with ticket sales.
- Once you have booked a journey with your multi-ticket, you will receive a ticket that you must show during ticket inspection.
- If you have not booked a journey with your multi-ticket before boarding the train, you must buy a new ticket from the conductor.
- You cannot use your multi-ticket to book a journey for a train that is sold out.
- Multi-tickets cannot be used for train + bus connections.
Please note that you cannot book or pick up tickets for individual journeys with a multi-ticket for long-distance trains from an R-kioski, a Matkahuolto, a Matkahuolto service point or a travel agency.
Multi-ticket for VR's commuter traffic
Please remember to activate the journey before boarding the train.
- Journeys booked with the multi-ticket are valid for two hours.
- Traditional paper multi-tickets must be validated with the orange validator in the train’s vestibule when boarding the train.
You can claim compensation in the following cases:
- Your long-distance train was delayed for at least 60 minutes.
- You have a season ticket for commuter traffic and there have been significant delays.
- You incurred additional costs due to a delay.
- Your train trip between Finland and Russia was delayed for at least 60 minutes.
- Your baggage was damaged or you incurred damage during your train trip.
The page on services for disabled passengers contains information on assistance available at railway stations, taking assistive devices on trains, accessibility of trains and measures in disruption situations.
You can also get help by calling our customer service for accessible travel 0800 188 822 (free of charge). When calling from abroad, please contact our customer support +358 100 3232.
By phone or on social media!
Our personnel will help you on trains and at stations. If you need help or advice before your journey, do not hesitate to contact us.
Buy and reserve tickets
VR’s customer care
You can buy tickets and get timetable and price information from customer care.
- Tel. 0600 41 900 (2 € / answered call + lnc/mcc)
- Service hours: During weekdays 5–22, Sat-Sun 7-22
- When calling from abroad: +358 923 192 902
Enquiries and assistance
VR’s customer Support
Contact Customer Support to change or cancel tickets; for information on train service during disruptions and for help with self-service channels.
- Tel. 0100 3232 (cost 0,06 €/min + lnc/mcc), queuing is charged
- Service hours: Mon–Fri 5 am–10 pm and Sat–Sun 7 am–10 pm
Services for groups
VR Group Sales
Contact Group Sales when planning a journey for a group with more than 9 persons.
- Tel. 0600 19009
- Service hours Mon–Thu 10–15
- Cost: EUR 2/answered call + LNC
Do you need help with moving around the station or boarding a train?
Assistance service is available, e.g. for the elderly, wheelchair passengers and passengers with impaired vision or hearing. The service is free of charge. You can order the service from our customer support for accessible travel: 0800 188 822 (free of charge). Service hours Mon–Fri 5am – 10 pm and Sat–Sun 7am – 10 pm.
Customer service on social media
On Facebook VR matkalla
Our customer service helps you with questions related to train travel:
- from Monday to Friday 7–21
- on Saturdays 9:30–18
- on Sundays and public holidays 9:30–18
If your matter concerns an existing ticket order or requires detailed personal data, please contact us through a private message.