Conveniently by car-carrier
Bring your car to the North easily
Admire the wilderness, conquer fells and enjoy peaceful moments in nature. You can save a whole day by transporting your car with you on the train. A car spot starting from €35.5 and a motorcycle from €26.4, the price for a sleeper cabin + a car spot can be as inexpensive as €80 (cabin €44.5 and car €35.5).
Buy tickets to a car-carrier
Add a car on your trip from the passenger menu.
Train is the greenest choice for travel to the NorthGETTING THE CLIMATE BACK ON TRACK
Train is the most environmentally friendly means of travelling. You can travel by train from Helsinki to Rovaniemi and back 50 times, whereas the same amount of emissions is produced during only one round trip by car.
Practical tips for car-carrier passengers
A car-carrier takes you and your car or motorcycle from one end of Finland to the other. What should you consider before the trip and at the car-carrier stations? Read our tips for a successful and comfortable journey!
Tips for car-carrier train passengers
Read this advice before boarding a car-carrier train.
- Check the vehicle size from the registration document when booking a CarTrain journey.
- Book the journey well in advance. You can find the exact time for loading the car in your ticket.
- We want to make sure you are safe – please load and unload your car alone. Meanwhile your travel companions can have a cup of coffee at the station.
- As a rule, you will load and unload your own car by yourself. There’s no need to be nervous about the loading or unloading – we will help you.
- When you are moving around in the car-carrier wagon after loading your car, remember to be careful and pay attention to vehicles boarding the wagon.
- For safety reasons, your vehicle may not be left idling in a car-carrier wagon during loading or unloading.
- If VR loads your car, please bring your car to the loading point 30 minutes before the loading time. Please note that you cannot change the car loader afterward.
- Print out your ticket and attach it to the keys. You can also write the ticket information on a paper (name, phone number, departure date, train, departure station, destination station, car make and model, and registration number).
- Please note! Cars are loaded onto the car-carrier at the Pasila car-carrier station, while passengers board at the adjoining Pasila railway station.
- The train P 267, which operates during peak seasons, will always leave from the Helsinki Central railway station.
- Choose a sleeping cabin that suits your needs. We can customise a CarTrain package for you.
- Pack a separate overnight bag with things you might need on the train trip. Remember to remove cold- or heat-sensitive items from the car. Other items can be left in the car.
- You don’t have to worry about eating during the trip – our restaurant car stays open long into the night and opens early in the morning.
- In night trains and car-carriers, pets travel with their owners in pet compartments or in the pet section of a regular passenger car. Do not leave your pet in your car on a car-carrier. As the tap water on the train is not potable, please remember to bring some water for your pet.
Information about car-carrier tickets
When would you like to travel?
Several car-carriers run every day between the North and South. You can find detailed timetables for car-carriers from our timetables website.
Restaurant services on night trains
You don’t need to be hungry on a night train – our restaurant car serves you until late at night and again early in the morning.
Enjoy audio books and e-booksEntertainment for the journey
We are offering our customers a 60-day trial period to the Nextory audio book and e-book service with a catalogue of thousands of stories. You can read and listen to as many books as you want with your phone or tablet.