You are using an outdated browser
Smoother commuter traffic in Pirkanmaa
All the way with the same ticket
Travel on local transport and hop on a train with the same ticket. The cooperation between VR and Nysse extends in April 2022 to include the value ticket loaded on the Nysse card. Together with long-distance train services, the commuter trains in the Tampere region offer a green and fast public transport alternative that helps people travel throughout the entire region.
What kind of trains can I travel on with Nysse tickets?
Nysse tickets can be used to travel in the Tampere region on both VR's commuter and long-distance trains.
- The line ID for Tampere's commuter trains is M as in Manse. Some of the services run the whole route between Nokia and Toijala, while others only run between Tampere and Nokia or Tampere and Toijala. When the Tesoma stop opens, the M train will stop there as well.
- In addition, there are R trains running between Tampere and Toijala, running the route Tampere–Riihimäki–Helsinki daily in both directions.
- Several of VR's long-distance trains stop in Lempäälä, Tampere, Nokia, Tesoma, Orivesi, and Orivesi Center.
- Even more Nysse tickets can now be used for train traffic in the Tampere region.
How to travel with a Nysse ticket
- Nysse's travel card season tickets, value tickets that have been loaded onto the card, mobile tickets (single and day tickets and season tickets for students) as well as 1.5.2023 onwards advance tickets, can be used to travel on VR's commuter and long-distance trains in the Tampere region.
- On the Tampere–Lempäälä and Tampere–Nokia routes, you will need zones A, B and C.
- On the Tampere–Orivesi route, you will need zones A, B and C.
- On the Tampere–Tesoma route, you will need zones A and B.
- On the Tesoma–Nokia route, you will need zones B and C.
- Register your travel card or ticket in the reader on the platform before boarding the train.
Please note that the Nysse ticket does not cover Viiala or Toijala, and you will need a VR ticket to travel to these stations.
- When traveling on Nysse tickets, Nysse's age limits apply. Other travel instructions follow VR's guidelines.
- More information about the ticket cooperation is available on Nysse's website., Opens in a new tab
- More information about traveling on Nysse’s Event Tickets is available on Nysse's website., Opens in a new tab
VR single tickets easily here
Tips for traveling with a Nysse ticket
- There are both commuter trains (R and M trains) and long-distance trains (Pendolino and IC trains and railcars) in the Tampere Region.
- We recommend primarily traveling with Nysse tickets on commuter trains, where it is easier to secure a seat (no advance booking).
- Only long-distance trains run to Orivesi, but some of the services are operated by railcar, where seats are also not booked in advance.
- Please note that the Nysse ticket does not cover journeys to Viiala or Toijala. For trips to these stations, you will need a VR single ticket.
When using Nysse tickets to travel with small children on VR’s commuter trains, VR's general terms and conditions for children's discounts apply.
- There is a change to VR's normal children's age limits that applies to travel on long-distance trains with a Nysse ticket: Children aged 0 to 6 travel for free when accompanied by a person traveling on a Nysse ticket.
- Prams may be transported in coaches intended for them free of charge on all trains. This also applies to people traveling on Nysse tickets.
- In VR commuter trains, you can also transport pets and bikes free of charge in the wagons intended for them when travelling on a Nysse ticket.
- When travelling on long-distance trains with a Nysse ticket, you can travel with your pet on a pet seat, but you need to pay for the pet seat separately to the conductor. If there are no available pet seats left in the train, a passenger with Nysse ticket will need to wait for the next train. To ensure you have a pet seat in a specific long distance train, you need to buy VR's ticket and pet seat in advance.
- When you are travelling with a bicycle on a long-distance train, you need to always have VR's ticket and a reserved place for your bicycle.
- You can travel with a wheelchair as usual with a Nysse ticket on VR's long-distance and commuter trains. Wheelchair passengers should favor the accessible IC and Pendolino trains. A wheelchair space can be secured by purchasing a VR ticket for the wheelchair space in advance.
- Please note that the M commuter trains in Pirkanmaa are not low-floor trains and are therefore not accessible. The R trains and some M train services are operated with Sm4 vehicles with wheelchair spaces and the possibility to transport prams. On Sm4 trains, you can ask the train personnel to help you board the train.
- As a wheelchair customer, you can order assistance service to the R train stations at the earliest 36 hours and at the latest 2 hours before your journey. The service is available Mon–Sun between 5 a.m. and 10 p.m. and can be ordered by calling the free number
VR's accessibility service number 0800 188 822 (free of charge)
or via email: email@example.com.
- VR's free personal assistant’s tickets also apply to those traveling with Nysse tickets, on both long-distance and commuter trains.
The Nyssykkä service
The Nyssykkä demand-responsive transport service provides train passengers with a minibus service between the centre of Orivesi and the Orivesi railway station whenever the Nysse bus service 95A does not operate.
- You can travel on Nyssykkä with no surcharge if you have a train ticket to/from Orivesi for the same day.
- You can order a ride by sending an SMS to or calling the number 040 3501 456 (LNC/MCC). The telephone service is open Mon–Fri from 6 a.m. to 10 p.m. and Sat–Sun from 9 a.m. to 10 p.m.
- Please order your ride at the latest 60 minutes before your train's scheduled departure or arrival time in Orivesi.
- Rides to the 7:25 morning train (from Orivesi to Tampere) must be ordered by 10 p.m. the night before.
- Nysse season tickets for zones A, B and C, Nysse value tickets and Nysse single tickets (available in the Nysse Mobiili app) are accepted payment methods.
- Nyssykkä is operated by Valkeakosken Liikenne Oy.
- Check out Nyssykkä's timetables and more information here., Opens in a new tab