Take your bike with you and hop on a train!
You can travel with a bike on nearly all domestic long-distance and commuter trains. If you are travelling on an InterCity train, you must book a space for your bike in advance. On commuter trains, bikes can be transported free of charge in the designated spaces.
Instructions for taking a bike on a train
- You can travel with a bike on InterCity and regional trains as well as night trains and car-carrier trains.
A normal-sized bike fits in the bike space of an InterCity train, fatbikes and electric bikes fit in the bike space on the InterCity train’s service carriage (coach number 4). Bikes bigger than these can not be travelled with.
- The transport fee for a bike is €5, you can reserve a place for your bike when you’re buying your own train ticket.
- Bikes cannot be taken on Pendolino trains.
- You can travel with your bike in night and car-carrier trains with a separately reserved bike space. Your bike cannot be carried behind your car or on the roof of your car on car-carrier trains.
InterCity trains have two types of bike spaces. Some of the spaces have a hook for hanging bikes. The hook can be locked by using a 50 cent coin as a deposit. Other spaces do not have locking, but you can take your own lock with you and lock the bike to the coach’s bike stand. On regional trains for long-distance traffic, bike spaces are located in the vestibule at the end of the train.
- Bikes can be taken on commuter trains without a separate charge.
- Please use coaches marked for bikes. The entrances of these coaches have been marked with a bike sticker.
- Avoid travel with a bike during peak times. Bikes are allowed on commuter trains at all times if there is enough space. Trains are busiest on weekdays from 7 a.m. to 10 a.m. and again from 3 p.m. to 5 p.m.
- Bikes may not be locked to any part of the train.
- Please take other passengers into consideration. Remember to give space to those travelling with a wheelchair or a pram and make sure that you are not blocking the aisle.
- Do not leave your bike unattended.
- Walk your bike at stations.
- Bikes must be placed in a container that does not exceed the maximum dimensions for hand baggage (60 x 100 x 40 cm).
- Bikes that have not been packed may not be taken on the train.
Only buying a bike space
If you have a season ticket or a multi-ticket, you can only buy a bike space either from the station’s ticket office or by calling VR customer service at 0600 41 900 (€1.99 per answered call + local network charge).
Scooters on trains
Foldable scooters can be taken on a train free of charge as hand baggage. If the scooter is large and cannot be folded, you must book a space for it and pay the bike transport fee.
Folding bikes, box bikes and tandems
- You can transport a folding bike for free as ordinary baggage on all commuter and long-distance trains. Please note that the folding bike must be folded and in a bag so that it will not make other passengers’ baggage dirty.
- Very large folding bikes will not fit in the overhead racks or baggage lockers of long-distance trains. Large folding bikes can be transported as ordinary bikes.
- Unfortunately, there is no space on trains for transporting box bikes, cargo bikes or tandems.