Single ticket for long-distance traffic
Single tickets for long-distance traffic
Single tickets for long-distance trains have varying pricing. The earlier you buy your ticket, the better chance you have of getting your ticket at a cheaper price!
Discounts on tickets
Children, students, pensioners, senior citizens and conscripts are eligible for a discount.
Where would you like to travel?
Information on the single tickets
- Single tickets for long-distance traffic are valid for the journey indicated on the ticket. You can change the departure date and time of your journey prior to departure at station ticket offices or by calling VR's customer care free of charge at 0800 166 888.
- If your journey includes a change of train, any changes to the itinerary must be made before the first leg begins. Note that the route or direction of travel cannot be changed.
- Changes are subject to a charge of €5 per change. Changes made via VR's customer care are further subject to a service charge of €1.
- If you change your ticket to a more expensive train service, you need to pay the difference when you make the change. The difference is not refunded as a monetary or price refund when changing to a less expensive train service.
- You can cancel your ticket before departure and receive a refund if you bought cancellation insurance when purchasing the ticket.
Please note: If you bought your ticket through a retailer, please contact them directly if you want to make any changes or cancel the ticket.
Purchasing channels for single tickets for long-distance traffic:
- VR Matkalla mobile app
- Station ticket offices
- Ticket vending machines
- VR customer service telephone: 0600 41 900 (EUR 1.99/answered call + LNC), Mon–Fri 5–22, Sat–Sun and public holidays 7–22. When calling from abroad: +358 923 192 902
- Matkahuolto points of sale and agents
- Travel agencies and VR retail partners
- Railbus vending machines (the vending machines will be removed from use by the end of July 2021)
Your ticket may be delivered by e-mail ticket or as a printed ticket. When you buy your ticket signed in, you will find all your tickets in one place on your own account.
Terms of the special offer
- The special offer ticket is a single ticket for long-distance traffic in the selected trains in the Eko Class.
- The special offer price only relates to new reservations.
- Discounts on tickets of special offer price are available to children, students, conscripts and pensioners.
- The sales period for tickets of special offer price is from 27 May to 19 July 2021.
- You can travel with a ticket of special offer price from 1 June to 15 August 2021.
- There is a limited number of tickets available.
Sales locations and delivery methods:
- Försäljningen av kampanj-biljetterna börjar den 27.5. efter kl 10:30.
- Special offer tickets can be bought on vr.fi, the VR Matkalla app or from ticket vending machines.
- You can also purchase a special offer ticket by calling our customer service at the number 0600 41 900. Cost EUR 1.99/answered call + LNC Customer service can be reached Mon–Fri from 7 a.m. to 8 p.m. and Sat–Sun from 9 a.m. to 7 p.m.
- The tickets will be sent to your email. If you buy your ticket while logged in, you can find it under My tickets.
- If you buy your ticket from our customer service or a ticket vending machine, you will get the ticket as a printout.
Terms and conditions for changes and cancellations:
- Tickets of special offer price are subject to the same change and cancellation terms and conditions as the long-distance traffic single tickets.
More comfortable travel
Buy some extra comfort for you journey by reserving a seat in the Ekstra Class or, when travelling on an InterCity train, an upstairs seat in the restaurant car.
Right to change to a commuter train
If your journey includes a change to a commuter train in the capital region, the validity period for commuter train travel is 80 minutes. You only need one ticket to travel, for example, to the Helsinki Airport.
Add cancellation insurance to your tripPeace of mind for your travel plans
If you have purchased cancellation insurance for your ticket for a long-distance train, the train ticket price will be compensated in full if you are not able to travel for any reason.
Own compartment or an empty seat next to you
Do you want to travel safer than ever? Now you can book a 2-, 4- or 6-person cabin for yourself or an empty seat next to you. An Ekstra Class ticket will include an empty seat next to you and the conductor will provide you with a face mask.