Single ticket for long-distance traffic
Single tickets for long-distance traffic
Single tickets for long-distance trains have varying pricing. The earlier you buy your ticket, the better chance you have of getting your ticket at a cheaper price!
Discounts on tickets
Children, students, pensioners, and conscripts are eligible for a discount.More on discounts
Where would you like to travel?
Information on the single tickets
More comfortable travel
Buy some extra comfort for you journey by reserving a seat in the Ekstra Class or, when travelling on an InterCity train, an upstairs seat in the restaurant car.
Change in plans?
You can make changes to single tickets for long-distance trains and to CarTrain-tickets.
Changes for single tickets for long-distance trains
Changes for single tickets of long-distance traffic
- If you've bought your ticket in the VR Matkalla app or as signed in at vr.fi, you can make changes to your journey time and date in the app. If you need to make changes to a night train journey with a cabin or car space, please contact our customer support.
- You can also change your ticket by calling our customer support 0100 3232 (cost 0,06 €/min + lnc/mcc), or by visiting our ticket office at Helsinki or Tampere station.
- Changes are subject to a charge of €5/ticket.
- Changes to the itinerary shall be done before the train’s scheduled departure.
- You can only transfer your journey within the currently sold season; this season will end on Mar 25 2023. The same applies for night trains (other than car packages) which are for sale up to Mar 25 2023.
- If you change your ticket to a more expensive train service, you need to pay the difference when you make the change. The difference is not refunded as a monetary or price refund when changing to a less expensive train service.
- Changes made at our station ticket office are further subject to a service charge of €1.
Cancellation of long-distance tickets:
Note. If you bought your ticket through a retailer, please contact it directly if you want to make any changes or cancel the ticket.
Read more about how to make changes to your multi-ticket, cancel a trip, or book a seat on the multi-ticket page.
Note. If you have a multi- or a season ticket for a route between Helsinki–Turku, you can find more information on the effects of the Turku–Kupittaa railway line interruption on your ticket from the station pages of Turku and Kupittaa.
Right to change to a commuter train
Depending on the route, your journey may include a change to a commuter train in the capital region. The validity period for commuter train travel is 80 minutes.
Add cancellation insurance to your tripPeace of mind for your travel plans
If you have purchased cancellation insurance for your ticket for a long-distance train, the train ticket price will be compensated in full if you are not able to travel for any reason.
Continue your trip with HSLHSL tickets available from the app
You can now purchase HSL-tickets alongside your train tickets, when you trip begins or ends within the capital region. You can pay for both tickets in one go and find them in the Tickets section in the app.