You are using an outdated browser
Single ticket for long-distance traffic
Single tickets for long-distance traffic
Single tickets for long-distance trains have varying pricing. To get a good price, buy your ticket well in advance.
Discounts on tickets
Children, students, pensioners, and conscripts are eligible for a discount.More on discounts
Where would you like to travel?
Information on the single tickets
The prices for the single tickets for long-distance traffic vary according to time of purchase and travel. To get a good price, buy your ticket well in advance.
Students, children (4–17 years), pensioners, conscripts and persons undergoing non-military service get a discount on the single tickets. Children aged 0–3 travel for free without a designated seat. Read more about discounts
When you buy your ticket from the VR Matkalla app, depending on the station, you can now add local public transport tickets, Opens in a new tab to your journey.
- Single tickets for long-distance traffic are valid for the journey indicated on the ticket.
- If you've bought your ticket as signed in, you can make changes to your journey time and date at vr.fi or the VR Matkalla app.
- You can add a ticket purchased while not logged in to the VR Matkalla application when you have the ticket's order and reference number.
- You can also change your departure at station ticket offices or by calling VR's customer care 0100 3232 (cost 0,06 €/min + lnc/mcc). You may also contact our customer support if you want to add a bike or pet to your reservation.
- Changes to your ticket must be made before the train's scheduled departure time. If your journey includes a change of train, any changes to the itinerary must be made before the first leg begins. Note that the route or direction of travel cannot be changed.
- Changes are subject to a charge of €5 per change. Eg. if you have a return ticket and you want to make changes to both legs of the journey, the charge for the changes will be € 9 in total. Changes made via VR's customer care are further subject to a service charge of €1.
- If you change your ticket to a more expensive train service, you need to pay the difference when you make the change. The difference is not refunded as a monetary or price refund when changing to a less expensive train service.
- Additional services (eg. seat in Ekstra class or a bicycle space) are transferred when available and will not be reimbursed.
- You can cancel your ticket before departure and receive a refund if you bought cancellation insurance when purchasing the ticket. If you buy your ticket from the VR Matkalla app and add on a HSL ticket, your cancellation insurance covers only your VR train ticket.
Please note: If you bought your ticket through a retailer, please contact them directly if you want to make any changes or cancel the ticket.
Purchasing channels for single tickets for long-distance traffic:
- VR Matkalla mobile app
- Station ticket offices (Helsinki and Tampere)
- Ticket vending machines. Please note that you can buy a single long-distance ticket from a ticket vending machine no earlier than 30 days before your journey.
- VR customer service telephone: 0600 41 900 (2 € / answered call + lnc/mcc), Mon–Fri 5–22, Sat–Sun and public holidays 7–22. When calling from abroad: +358 923 192 902
- R-Kiosks. A 1 euro supplement/ticket will be charged at the R-Kioski. Please note that you can buy a single long-distance ticket at R-kioski no earlier than 30 days before your journey.
- Matkahuolto agents
- Travel agencies and VR retail partners
- With card payment from the train conductor. There is a surcharge for tickets sold onboard the train, which is 3 € for trips shorter than 76 km and 7 € for longer trips.
Your ticket may be delivered by e-mail ticket or as a printed ticket. When you buy your ticket signed in, you will find all your tickets in one place on your own account.
More comfortable travel
Buy some extra comfort for you journey by reserving a seat in the Ekstra Class or, when travelling on an InterCity train, an upstairs seat in the restaurant car.
Changes and cancellations for single tickets
Change your ticket in the app or at vr.fi
You can change your ticket easily in the app or online at vr.fi if you have made your purchases in the app or logged in at vr.fi. You can also add your anonymously bought ticket to your account on the VR Matkalla app and make changes afterwards. A ticket that has been activated through self-service will be considered used and cannot be changed or cancelled.
New time of the trip
You can change the dates of your trip only for the available sales period, until 16 Jun on day trains and until 26 Oct 2024 on night trains.
Change your ticket by contacting customer support
You can also change your ticket by calling our customer support 0100 3232 (cost 0,06 €/min + lnc/mcc), or by visiting our ticket office at Helsinki or Tampere station.
Price differences in tickets
If you change your ticket to a more expensive train service, you need to pay the difference when you make the change. The difference is not refunded as a monetary or price refund when changing to a less expensive train service.
Right to change to a commuter train
Depending on the route, your journey may include a change to a commuter train in the capital region. The validity period for commuter train travel is 80 minutes.
Add cancellation insurance to tripPeace of mind for your travel plans
Change of plans? If you purchase cancellation insurance for your long-distance train ticket, the price of the ticket will be compensated in full if you are not able to travel for any reason.
Continue your trip with local transportFrom the VR matkalla app
You can purchase tickets for multiple cities' local transport alongside your train tickets from the our app, allowing you to get from door to door in best cases! Pay and save the tickets easily in one app – pretty nifty, right?