Single ticket for long-distance traffic
Single tickets for long-distance traffic
Single tickets for long-distance trains have varying pricing. The earlier you buy your ticket, the better chance you have of getting your ticket at a cheaper price!
Where would you like to travel?
Information on the single tickets
The prices for the single tickets for long-distance traffic vary according to time of purchase and travel. We offer limited amounts of more affordable tickets, so the earlier you buy your ticket the better chance you have of getting it at a cheaper price.
Basic and saver tickets are single tickets long-distance traffic.
Students, children (4–16 years), pensioners, conscripts and persons undergoing non-military service get a discount on the single tickets. Children aged 0–3 travel for free without a designated seat. Read more about discounts
When you buy your ticket from the VR Matkalla app and you trip begins or ends within the capital region, you can now add HSL single tickets to your journey, which give you access to the whole HSL public transport network.
When you buy your ticket from the VR Matkalla app and your trip either begins or ends in the capital region, you can add on a HSL single ticket that allows travel on public transport within the capital region.
- Single tickets for long-distance traffic are valid for the journey indicated on the ticket. You can change the departure date and time of your journey prior to departure at station ticket offices or by calling VR's customer care 0100 3232 (cost 0,06 €/min).
- If your journey includes a change of train, any changes to the itinerary must be made before the first leg begins. Note that the route or direction of travel cannot be changed.
- Changes are subject to a charge of €5 per change. Changes made via VR's customer care are further subject to a service charge of €1.
- If you change your ticket to a more expensive train service, you need to pay the difference when you make the change. The difference is not refunded as a monetary or price refund when changing to a less expensive train service.
- You can cancel your ticket before departure and receive a refund if you bought cancellation insurance when purchasing the ticket. If you buy your ticket from the VR Matkalla app and add on a HSL ticket, your cancellation insurance covers only your VR train ticket.
Please note: If you bought your ticket through a retailer, please contact them directly if you want to make any changes or cancel the ticket.
Purchasing channels for single tickets for long-distance traffic:
- VR Matkalla mobile app
- Station ticket offices
- Ticket vending machines
- VR customer service telephone: 0600 41 900 (2 € / answered call + LNC), Mon–Fri 5–22, Sat–Sun and public holidays 7–22. When calling from abroad: +358 923 192 902
- R-Kiosks. A 1 euro supplement/ticket will be charged at the R-Kioski.
- Matkahuolto points of sale and agents
- Travel agencies and VR retail partners
Your ticket may be delivered by e-mail ticket or as a printed ticket. When you buy your ticket signed in, you will find all your tickets in one place on your own account.
Right to change to a commuter train
If your journey includes a change to a commuter train in the capital region, the validity period for commuter train travel is 80 minutes. You only need one ticket to travel, for example, to the Helsinki Airport.