You are using an outdated browser
One purchase, lots of trips
A season ticket is the best option if you travel the same route almost daily using long-distance trains or VR commuter traffic. You can get a season ticket for either Eco or Ekstra class and use it for travel in both directions on the chosen route.
How to buy season tickets
Here are instructions for buying a season ticket. More information about the product below.
Download the VR Matkalla app
Log in to the app
- Log in to the app using your VR username.
- If you do not have a username for our services, you can create it here.
Buy season tickets
- You can then start buying season tickets.
- You will receive ticket information to your email address, but you can find the actual ticket entitling you to the journey in the VR Matkalla app.
- Show your valid season ticket in the app when the conductor is checking tickets.
Season tickets from the VR Matkalla app
Travel as much as you want during the validity of the ticket. With a season ticket, you can board trains at all times.
This is the season ticket
- Season tickets are available for several different durations, for a minimum of 14 days and a maximum of one year. The longer the season you choose, the cheaper you will travel.
- You can compare the durations and prices of different periods in the app and explore the durations of different periods in the Validity Periods section.
- You can choose to start the season from the time of purchase or within the next 120 days.
- You can buy a season ticket for Eko or Ekstra Class. Eko Class season tickets are the most affordable option for frequent travellers and are valid for all Eko Class seats. With an Ekstra Class season ticket, you can choose your place in the Ekstra Class, but also upstairs of the restaurant car or in the Eko Class.
- You can book a seat for your long distance trip in the app free of charge or sit on the quota seats reserved for passengers with a season ticket.
- Season tickets for long-distance trains are valid also on the commuter trains on the same route.
- In the app, you can follow your own train with notifications for possible delays or changes.
- The season ticket personal, so remember to bring your ID with you
A yearly ticket pays off
The longer the season, the cheaper the daily cost. When you buy a season ticket for the whole year in one go from the VR Matkalla app, you save at least the price of a ticket of 3,5 months (when compared to bying 30-day season tickets monthly).
You can reserve a seat for all your long-distance trips with your season ticket in the VR Matkalla app. You can also add more comfort to your trip by upgrading your seat or get more space by purchasing also the seat next to yours.
A little Ekstra for your commute
Would you like to travel a little more comfortably every day? With the Ekstra class season ticket, your daily trips have a touch of luxury. You can now get your season ticket for Ekstra class from the VR Matkalla app.
Pay your ticket with Edenred, Epassi and SmartumUse your commuting benefit
Remember to use your commuting benefit by the end of the year! With the Epassi, Edenred or Smartum, you can pay for single, multi- and season tickets in the VR Matkalla app. You can use the ticket for traveling for work and on free time.
Which routes are included in the VR commuter traffic area and which belong to the HSL area?
VR’s commuter traffic encompasses traffic operated with commuter trains with line IDs in areas from Helsinki to Kotka and Nokia. VR’s commuter traffic tickets are not valid on VR’s long-distance trains.
Tickets for the HSL area are bought according to the HSL zones. The HSL area is divided into four zones, identified by the letters A, B, C and D, spreading out from the centre of Helsinki.Check the traffic areas
Information about season tickets
The price of the season ticket is calculated according to the length of the connection and the duration of the season. The longer the season you choose, the cheaper you will travel.
- In long-distance traffic, children aged 4 to 17 receive a 40% discount on season tickets and children under 4 travel for free
- In commuter traffic, children aged 7 to 17 receive a 50% discount on season tickets and children under 7 travel for free
- 13-17-year-old children can buy a season ticket from the VR Matkalla app.
- The season ticket for under 13-year-olds is now available also on the VR Matkalla app. Adults can purchase the season ticket and share it to the youngsters.
- Season tickets were sold without value added tax between 1 January and 30 April 2023. The temporary tax reduction applied to all ticket types, and the normal VAT rate of 10 per cent was returned to ticket prices on 1 May 2023.
- You can check the price of the home-to-work season ticket from the pdf file below.
Season tickets cannot be changed or cancelled.
The sales locations and delivery methods of season ticket for long-distance traffic
- The VR Matkalla app. Once you have signed in to the app, you can buy and use season tickets. Season tickets are only on app. The order confirmation you get via email does not qualify for a train ticket.
The sales locations and delivery methods of season ticket for VR’s commuter trains
- The VR Matkalla app. Once you have signed in to the app, you can buy and use season tickets.
- R-kioski. You will receive the season ticket as a printout. When you buy your season ticket from R-kioski, you can choose to start the season from the time of purchase or within the next 6 days.
The season ticket in the VR Matkalla mobile app
- You can select a season of 14, 19, 26, 30, 35, 40, 45, 60, 75, 90, 105, 120, 135, 150, 180, 210, 240, 270, 300, 330 or 365 days
- You can choose to start the season from the time of purchase or within the next 120 days
Note! If you have left your season ticket at home, we will have to charge an inspection fee. So, please keep the season ticket in the VR Matkalla app with you at all times.
You can easily reserve a seat with a long-distance season ticket in the VR Matkalla app without a charge. The reservation gives you a ticket which you can find in the Tickets section of the app. Seat reservation is voluntary. You can also travel in the quota seats reserved for season ticket holders, which you can find in the app's coach map. If you wish, you can travel without reserving a seat and sit in any available seat on the train.
Season tickets for Eko and Ekstra Class
With an Eko Class season ticket, you can choose any seat in the Eko Class. If you wish, you can upgrade your seat on an individual journey to the Ekstra Class or to the upstairs of the restaurant car for a surcharge.
With an Ekstra Class season ticket, you can choose your place in the Ekstra Class, but also upstairs of the restaurant car or in the Eko Class.
You can reserve a seat either before your trip or when you are already on the train. You will be reminded of your reservation 31 minutes before the start of the journey. If you cannot make the trip, please cancel your place reservation at least 30 minutes before departure.
Pets, bikes and extra space
You can also add a pet or a bicycle space to your journey and claim an empty seat next to you for an individual journey you book with your season ticket.
Ensure a wheelchair space
Call our customer service for accessible travel 0800 188 822 (free of charge) and book a wheelchair space for the train service of your choice in advance. There are a limited number of wheelchair spaces on the trains.
The quota seats
For those who travel with season tickets, a quota of seats has been reserved on the most popular long-distance trains. These seats cannot be booked on the coach map. Quota seats will be displayed in the app for each train on your season ticket’s route. You can also see them in the pdf below.