One purchase, lots of trips
A season ticket is the best option if you travel the same route almost daily using long-distance trains or VR commuter traffic. The longer the period you purchase, the more you save. So, leave the car at home and hop on the train!
Save by getting your season tickers from the VR Matkalla app
Compared to our old web shop, you now get a 30-day ticket with the price of 26 days from the VR Matkalla app. See examples for some of our most popular routes below and check prices for the rest of the routes in the app.
30 d now
Helsinki–Tampere from the VR Matkalla app
cf. 26 days 383€ in the old VR web shop
30 d now
Salo–Turku from the VR Matkalla app
cf. 26 days 134€ in the old VR web shop
30 d now
Karjaa–Helsinki from the VR Matkalla app
cf. 26 days 208€ in the old VR web shop
How to buy season tickets
Here are instructions for buying the new season ticket. More information about the product below.
Download the VR Matkalla app
Log in to the app
- Log in to the app using your VR username.
- If you do not have a username for our services, you can create it here.
- You can still use your old Veturi username to log in.
Buy season tickets
- You can then start buying season tickets.
- You will receive ticket information to your email address, but the actual ticket entitling you to the journey is available only in the VR Matkalla app.
- Show your valid season ticket in the app when the conductor is checking tickets.
Season tickets from the VR Matkalla app only
Travel as much as you want during the validity of the ticket. With a season ticket, you can board trains at all times.
This is the renewed season ticket
- Log in to the app to buy a season ticket.
- You can select a season of 14, 30, 45, 60, 90, 120, 150, 180, 210, 240, 270
or 365 days
- You can choose to start the season from the time of purchase or within the next 6 days
- You can find the long-distance quota seats in the app.
- In the app, you can follow your own train with notifications for possible delays or changes.
- The renewed season ticket is still personal, so remember to bring your ID with you
Which routes are included in the VR commuter traffic area and which belong to the HSL area?
VR’s commuter traffic encompasses traffic operated with commuter trains with line IDs in areas from Helsinki to Lahti and Nokia. VR’s commuter traffic tickets are not valid on VR’s long-distance trains.
Tickets for the HSL area are bought according to the HSL zones. The HSL area is divided into four zones, identified by the letters A, B, C and D, spreading out from the center of Helsinki.
Information about season tickets
The price of the season ticket is calculated according to the length of the connection and the duration of the season. The longer the season you choose, the cheaper you will travel.
- In long-distance traffic, children aged 4 to 16 receive a 40% discount on season tickets and children under 4 travel for free
- In commuter traffic, children aged 7 to 16 receive a 50% discount on season tickets and children under 7 travel for free
- There have been no changes in the season ticket prices in 2020.
- If you have bought your season ticket at shop.vr.fi, you can check the price for your route there.
- If you have bought your season ticket through the VR Matkalla app, you can check the price for your route there.
Season tickets cannot be changed or cancelled.
The sales locations and delivery methods of season ticket for long-distance traffic
- The VR Matkalla app. Once you have signed in to the app, you can buy and use season tickets. Season tickets are only on app. The order confirmation you get via email does not qualify for a train ticket.
- The old webpage. You can buy a season ticket to Ekstra Class and a season ticket for children under 13 from shop.vr.fi.
- VR Customer Service. You can buy or book a season ticket for Eko or Ekstra Class by phone. The ticket will be delivered to your by email or you can pick it up from a VR service point or an R-kioski.
- VR service point. You can buy a season ticket for Eko or Ekstra Class and you will receive the tickets as a printout and/or in your email.
- R-kioski. You can buy a season ticket for Eko or Ekstra Class. You can also redeem season tickets purchased through VR's customer service from R-kioski
- Matkahuolto and its service points. You can buy a ticket for Eko or Ekstra Class. You will receive the season ticket by email or as a printout.
- Travel agencies. You can buy a ticket for Eko or Ekstra Class. You will receive the season ticket by email or as a printout.
The sales locations and delivery methods of season ticket for VR’s commuter trains
- The VR Matkalla app. Once you have signed in to the app, you can buy and use season tickets.
- VR Customer Service. You will receive the season ticket attached to your email or as an SMS to your mobile phone. You can also pick up the ticket from a VR service point at a railway station or an R-kioski.
- VR service point. You will receive the season ticket as a printout.
The season ticket in the VR Matkalla mobile app
- You can select a season of 14, 30, 45, 60, 90, 120, 150, 180, 210, 240, 270 or 365 days
- You can choose to start the season right from the time of purchase or within the next 6 days
If you are travelling with a season ticket, you can sit in any available seat on the train, excluding seats subject to a surcharge such as seats in the Ekstra Class, upstairs in the restaurant car and compartments.
When you buy a season ticket for long-distance traffic through the VR Matkalla app, you can find your route’s train-specific quota seats in the app’s journey search.
For those who travel with season tickets, a quota of seats has been reserved on the most popular long-distance trains. These seats cannot be booked on the coach map. Please note that you may need to change your seat during the trip if you have selected a non-quota seat. The most popular train services can also be very full at times.
Ensure a wheelchair space
Call our customer service for accessible travel 0800 188822 (free of charge) and book a wheelchair space for the train service of your choice in advance. There are a limited number of wheelchair spaces on the trains.
The quota seats for passengers with a season ticket
The easiest way to check the quota seats is to buy your season ticket through the VR Matkalla app. Quota seats will be displayed in the app for each train on your season ticket’s route.