Take the train to Europe!
Travel by land in Europe! The train is an ecological mode of transport suitable for different budgets. There are two kinds of Interrail Passes available: the Interrail Global Pass that covers many countries and the country-specific Interrail One Country Pass. Choose the option that best suits you and start your adventure!
Popular Interrail Global Passes
Interrail Global Pass
Learn more about the Pass that covers all Interrail countries
Popular Interrail One Country Passes
Interrail One Country Pass
Learn more about the country-specific Interrail Pass
How do I buy an Interrail Pass?
Before buying an Interrail Pass
- Interrail Passes are not sold on the vr.fi website but you can buy them from here., Opens in a new tab When buying a Pass, you will also need an account to the Eurail website.
- When the Pass is bought, the validity period is marked on it.
- When buying an Interrail Pass, you need a valid passport or personal identity card. Please note that a driving license is not accepted. If you intend to use your personal identity card as proof of identity during your trip, check whether it is accepted in the countries where you intend to travel. Remember to have the same travel document with you on the trip that you used in purchasing your ticket.
- You can buy an Interrail Pass in all of VR’s service points at the earliest 11 months before the beginning of the trip. The sale of Interrail Passes at our service points will end on 31 May 2023, after which the Passes will be sold exclusively in the online shop., Opens in a new tab
After you have bought an Interrail Pass
- If your trip is cancelled in its entirety before the first journey day, the price of the Interrail Pass is refunded to you with a service charge deducted from it.
- You can make changes to your Interrail Pass. If you haven't yet used your ticket, you can postpone its start date by up to 11 months from the date of purchase.
- Interrail Passes are mainly used without a seat reservation. However, some European railway companies require seat reservations on certain trains. You can find more information about seat reservations on the interrail.eu website, Opens in a new tab.
- You can review the railway and ferry companies that belong to the Interrail network on Eurail webpages, Opens in a new tab.
- If you have questions about buying the ticket or any queries after buying the Pass, please contact Eurail customer service., Opens in a new tab
- We recommend that you take out a travel insurance policy. Insurance provides extra protection in many situations, for instance if you have bought a Promotional Pass and have to cancel your trip due to illness.
Interrail mobile ticket and the Rail Planner app
Interrail Europe using the Rail Planner app! Read about using the app and traveling with it.
Adding your Interrail Pass to the Rail Planner app
1. Buy a ticket and download the Rail Planner app.
Buy an Interrail Pass and download the Rail Planner app from your app store.
2. Add your Pass to the app
Add your pass to the app. Click "My Pass" from the footer of the app and add your last name as well as the number of your Interrail Pass. Note that you must always add the Interrail Pass of a child on the same device as the adult Pass.
3. Connect your Pass to your trip
Create a trip in section "My Trip", name it and connect your Interrail Pass to it.
4. Activate your Interrail Pass
Activate your Interrail Pass by adding your passport number and selecting your first travel date. You are now ready to hop on a train towards the adventure of your dreams!
Traveling with the Interrail mobile Pass
Plan your trip
Plan your trip by searching for connections in the Planner section in the footer of the app.
Save your journeys
When you find a journey that suits you, save it to My Trip.
Add the journey to your Pass
Add the journey to your Pass once you are ready to board the train. This way you create a day ticket which you need for ticket inspection.- The day ticket will show you all the journeys planned for the travel day that you have added to your Pass.
Show your ticket on the train
Show your ticket to the conductor. Please also be ready to show the ID you provided for the Pass.
See the world by trainChildren travel for free
Did you know that the passes for children under 12 years of age are free in the company of an adult pass holder? Each adult can be accompanied by up to two children. Children under the age of 4 can travel without a pass.
Discounts with Interrail PassesMany extra benefits and discounts
Certain shipping companies, private railway companies and bus companies grant discounts on certain transfer connections for persons holding a valid Interrail Pass.
For the homebound journey
Your Interrail Pass is not valid in your country of residence, apart from leaving and re-entering when travelling on Global Pass. If you want to save travelling days on your Pass, you can purchase a separate ticket for domestic travel.
How to go Interrailing from Finland
An easy way to travel to European cities is to cross the Baltic Sea on a ship. Persons holding an Interrail Pass get a discount on one-way tickets. For timetables, see the websites of the shipping companies.See the discounts, Opens in a new tab
Interrail was born in 1972
Initially, 22 countries participated and passes were only sold to travellers under 21 years of age. Today, you can Interrail in almost all of Europe and there is no age restriction.
Interrail is becoming more popular
Interrail has always been popular among the young, but adults and the elderly are also becoming more and more interested in this form of travel.