Service points at Helsinki and Tampere railway stations will cease accepting cash this summer
Tampere and Helsinki service points will not accept cash as payment this summer as the sales system will be updated. The exact date will be released later. The service points keep accepting card payments after the change. Both stations have an R-kioski where you can still buy train tickets and pay for them in cash.
The popularity of cash as a payment method has declined steadily in recent years. In connection with the change to the sales system, we will stop accepting cash at our service points. In future, payments can only be made by card.
The R-kioskis located at Helsinki and Tampere railway stations will continue to allow customers to buy and pay for train tickets in cash. At R-kioskis, a service charge of EUR 1 will be added to the price of tickets for long-distance trains.
At R-kioskis, you can buy:
- all commuter tickets
- single tickets for long-distance trains
- additional services for long-distance train single tickets: a pet seat, wheelchair space, bike space or a seat in Ekstra Class or upstairs of the restaurant car (IC trains).
There are several options for buying train tickets. You can buy train tickets:
- on the vr.fi website
- in the VR Matkalla app
- from a ticket vending machine at a station
- from our telephone service, tel. +358 (0)600 41 900 (EUR 2 per answered call + local network rate/mobile charge, open Mon–Fri 5 a.m.–10 p.m. and Sat–Sun 7 a.m.–10 p.m.)
- at our service points at Helsinki and Tampere railway stations (card payment only)
- at our Kahvi & Lippu café at Tikkurila railway station (only single and multi-tickets, card payment only)
- at all R-kioskis in Finland