Single commuter tickets
VR’s commuter services area
VR’s commuter services area includes all such travel towards Lahti and Tampere for which no seat reservations are possible. Please note that when your entire journey takes place in the internal public transport of the capital region, you need a ticket for the HSL area.
Tickets are valid for 2 hours
Single commuter tickets are valid for 120 minutes for a one-way journey on the route printed on the ticket. Validity starts from the scheduled departure time of the train.
Price of single tickets for commuter traffic
Information on single commuter tickets
Single commuter tickets cannot be changed or cancelled.
- Single commuter tickets are valid for 120 minutes for a one-way journey on the route printed on the ticket.
- Validity starts from the scheduled departure time of the selected train.
- You can take any commuter train whose scheduled departure time is within the ticket’s validity period.
- In ticket inspection, you must show the original ticket. For example, a screenshot of the ticket is not acceptable.
- When you buy your ticket from the VR Matkalla app and your trip either begins or ends in the capital region, you can add on a HSL single ticket that allows travel on public transport within the capital region.
Purchasing channels for single commuter tickets:
- VR Matkalla mobile app
- Station ticket offices
- Ticket vending machines
Your ticket may be delivered by e-mail, as a mobile ticket or as a printed ticket.
Are you travelling in the HSL area or in VR’s commuter traffic area?
The commuter traffic area in the capital region and the neighbouring municipalities is divided into the HSL area, operated by Helsinki Region Transport, and VR’s commuter traffic area.
Discounts on tickets
Students, pensioners, children, conscripts and persons undergoing non-military service get a discount on single tickets for commuter traffic.
Free of charge with prams
In commuter traffic, you may travel for free when you are travelling with a child between 0 and 6 years in a pram or pushchair.
Multi-tickets and season tickets
Do you travel by train regularly? You can buy multi-tickets and season tickets for commuter trains.
Commuter trains have no ticket sales
Commuter trains have no ticket sales, so don’t forget to buy a ticket before boarding. Train staff has the right to remove from trains any persons travelling without a ticket.
Ticket inspections in night traffic
At the Helsinki Central Railway Station, tickets of all passengers are checked in night traffic on weekends and on the eve of public holidays. Tickets are inspected at the gate already before boarding the train. Night traffic starts at 11 p.m.