What discounts can I get?
You can get a student discount on train tickets for long-distance traffic and VR’s commuter traffic when you have a student card entitling you to a discount.
Buy a cheaper student ticket
How to get a student discount
You may be eligible for a student discount if
- You are studying in Finland in a university, college, university of applied sciences, vocational institution, vocational special education institution, general upper secondary school, optional tenth grade or additional ninth grade studies under public supervision.
- You receive student financial aid from Kela or an adult education subsidy granted by the Employment Fund.
- You are studying for a basic degree at your educational institution and you have not completed a master’s degree.
- You are a full-time student.
- The duration of your studies is at least eight months of uninterrupted study.
- You do not receive an allowance or pay for your studies.
- You do not earn income from an office you hold or from being employed or self-employed.
- Over 60 % of your total study time is contact teaching if you are engaged in multiform education.
- You are studying abroad and you receive student financial aid from Finland: you need temporary certification from VR to confirm your student discount eligibility. The certificate must be stamped by the educational institution and signed by the institution’s representative.
To obtain your student card and information on its eligibility, contact your student association. You can also use a temporary certificate of student status if you have not received your student card yet. Temporary certificates of student status are valid for three months.
You are not eligible for a student discount if
- Less than 60 % of your total study time is contact teaching if you are engaged in distance or multiform education.
- You have already completed a master’s degree/university degree.
- You are studying for, or have completed, a graduate or postgraduate degree.
- You are studying abroad and not receiving student financial aid from Kela.
- You are undergoing vocational labour market training for which you receive unemployment benefits.
- You are a private student.
- You are in compulsory education.
- You are in apprenticeship training.
- You are in special needs education and you receive benefits other than student financial aid from Kela or an insurance company.
- You are in in-service training.
Holders of the following student cards are eligible for discounts
- Pivo student card
- Frank digital student cards
- Frank student cards
- National Union of Vocational Students in Finland (SAKKI ry) student card
- Finlands Gymnasistförbund (FGF) student card
- Suomen Opiskelija-Allianssi – OSKU ry AMIS card
- Suomen Opiskelija-Allianssi – OSKU ry Pivo card
- Suomen Opiskelija-Allianssi – OSKU ry (older format)
- Finnish Defence Forces photo identity card for cadets
- Finlands Svenska Skolungdomsförbund FSS rf student card
- Matkahuolto student card
- AMK student card
- Slice mobile student card Higher education
- Slice mobile student card Upper secondary education
- Tuudo student identifier
Holders of the following student cards are not eligible for VR student discounts
- ISIC cards
- Other international student cards
- Green student cards for graduate and postgraduate students (SYL, SAMOK, OSKU, SKOL, TERHOL)