VR joins the hockey fever – more train services for the fans
Soon it is time to cheer for the teams at the IIHF Ice Hockey World Championship in Helsinki and at the brand-new Nokia Arena in Tampere. We offer ice hockey fans additional late-night train services.
This year, VR is an official partner of the Ice Hockey World Championship. We have added train services from Tampere and Helsinki on the days of the key games. If the game continues longer than expected, we will do our best to delay the departure times of the additional train services correspondingly.
Finland will play at least the following games in Tampere:
- 13 May at 8:20 p.m. Finland – Norway
- 14 May at 8:20 p.m. Latvia – Finland
- 16 May at 8:20 p.m. Finland – USA
- 18 May at 8:20 p.m. Finland – Sweden
- 20 May at 4:20 p.m. Great Britain – Finland
- 21 May at 4:20 p.m. Austria – Finland
- 24 May at 8:20 p.m. Finland – Czech Republic
To serve the ice hockey fans, we have added train services after the following games, too:
- 26 May quarterfinals in Helsinki and Tampere at 4:20 p.m. and 8:20 p.m.
- 28 May semifinals at Nokia Arena in Tampere at 2:20 p.m. and 6:20 p.m.
- 29 May bronze medal game at 3:20 p.m. and gold medal game at 8:20 p.m., both at Nokia Arena in Tampere
Additional long-distance trains will run as follows:
- IC 188 Tampere 11:59 p.m. – Helsinki 2:10 a.m., on all of the game days mentioned above
- IC 189 Helsinki 11:30 p.m. – Tampere 1:37 a.m., on 13–24 May, 26 May, 28 May and 29 May
- IC 612 and S 612 Tampere 11:54 p.m. – Turku 1:36 a.m., on all days when Finland has evening games in Tampere (13–24 May) and on 26, 28 and 29 May
- IC 613 Tampere 11:53 p.m. (18 May) / 11:55 p.m. (other days) – Jyväskylä 1:30–1:42 a.m. depending on the train service in question, on 13, 16, 18, 20, 24, 26, 28 and 29 May
- IC 615 Tampere 11:29 p.m. / 11:25 p.m. (20 and 24 May) / 11:50 p.m. (29 May) – Vaasa 1:29–1:55 a.m. depending on the train service in question, on days when Finland has evening games in Tampere (13–24 May) and on 26 and 29 May
In addition, the commuter train R has additional services between Tampere and Helsinki and the commuter train M between Tampere and Nokia. On the long-distance trains, restaurant services are open as usual so fans can quench the hunger and thirst accumulated during the game.
A stamped Ice Hockey World Championship ticket will allow you to travel freely in the Tampere region’s public transport. This area includes the Nokia, Tesoma, Tampere, Orivesi and Lempäälä railway stations. Before boarding the train, remember to stamp your World Championship ticket with the ticket machine on the platform. Read more about the subject on Nysse’s website.
You can find tickets for all additional train services as usual in the trip search at vr.fi and in the VR Matkalla app.