Discount for conscripts
What discounts can I get?
You can travel for free when carrying out your military service. For journeys made on your free time, you get a discount on tickets for long-distance traffic and VR’s commuter traffic. Check the bottom of the page for discounts for conscripts not in military service.
Travel for free while in military service
Long-distance traffic EUR 0
You can travel for free both in VR's commuter trains and in the Eko Class of long-distance trains and on any free seats when wearing the furlough uniform of the Finnish Defence Forces. If you travel on an HSL , Opens in a new tabtrain, you must buy an HSL ticket.
Please present your valid conscript card with a VR identifier.
You can reserve one seat per travel day in the Eko Class of long-distance trains free of charge by using the VR Matkalla app. You need to create a username for VR’s services in order to use the app.
As a confirmation for your reservation, you will receive a mobile ticket, which you must then present to the ticket inspector. In addition, you must be wearing the furlough uniform of the Finnish Defence Forces and have your conscript card with you.
Asevelvollinen ja matkojen ostaminen ennakkoon
As a conscript, you can book up to two train trips for the same day. You can purchase up to two round trips in advance. Please note that as a conscript, you can only book discounted leisure trips for yourself.
Long-distance train tickets -30%
You will get a 30% discount on the single ticket for long-distance traffic when you travel on your free time without the furlough uniform of the Finnish Defence Forces. Please present your valid conscript card to the ticket inspector. No discounts are applicable to night train cabins.
VR’s commuter traffic tickets -50%
You get a 50% discount on single tickets for VR’s commuter traffic when you travel on your free time without the furlough uniform of the Finnish Defence Forces. Please present your valid conscript card with a VR identifier.
Conscripts travel cheaply
Leisure travel 30% off long-distance trips and 50% off commuter trips
Travel rights of conscripts not in military service
In Finland, compulsory military service applies to men aged 18–60 who have Finnish citizenship. Outside the military service period, you have the right to travel on our long-distance trains for free in accordance with our agreement with the Finnish Defence Forces in the following cases
- An order to enter into service
- A call to voluntary exercises of the Finnish Defence Forces
- A call to a test, aptitude test or crisis management training arranged by the Finnish Defence Forces
- An order to a training event of the reserves led by the Finnish Defence Forces
- A military passport on the day military service ends
- A mobilization order or other order by the Finnish Defence Forces
You can travel for free on any free seats in the Eko Class on our long-distance trains. Please present proof of your eligibility to travel to the ticket inspector and, at request, proof of identity.
Book your seat easily in the VR Matkalla app
- You can reserve one seat in the Eko Class per travel day free of charge. You can also cancel your booking
- You can upgrade your seat to Ekstra class for an additional charge. Ekstra class tickets include, for example, more spacious seating and free coffee and tea. Please note. The price for an upgrade eg. a seat in Ekstra class will not be refunded if you cancel your trip.
- Follow your journey: The app gives you information on upcoming stops and your arrival time.
- Find VR Matkalla in App Store, Opens in a new tab or Google Play, Opens in a new tab.