Night train travel
When travelling on a night train you can choose whether you want to travel in a seat or a berth.
Night train timetables can be
There are car-carrier wagons on
Winter night and car-carrier trains
Some of the night trains in the winter season 2013-2014 depart from Helsinki railway station and some from Pasila car-carrier station.
If the train departs from Pasila car-carrier station all passengers departing from Helsinki must board the train at Pasila car-carrier station. This also applies to passengers who are not transporting a car but travelling in a sleeping compartment or have a day car seat.
You can reserve a compartment for 1-2 persons (new double-deck sleeping cars) or for 1-3 persons (blue sleeping cars).
You can also buy one or more berth tickets in a men/women-only compartment.
In seats you can travel in comfort inexpensively.
Children aged 10 and younger travel free of charge on night trains with a parent in the same sleeping compartment if a berth is not booked for the child. You must inform VR if a child will travel with you when buying your tickets. Children under the age of 4 do not need tickets. Get your tickets permitting children aged 4 to 10 to travel free of charge from ticket offices or by phone from VR Customer Care.
Pets can be transported in a car-end compartment reserved by one person or group by paying a pet charge of 5 euros.
You cannot transport pets in men/women-only compartments.
Fixed pet charge of 5 euros per pet.
Read more on the transport of luggage on the Onboard services page.
If you want to transport your car read more on CarTrain packages on the Tickets page.
How to buy tickets from the VR Online Shop
- After you have selected a train service the Online Shop will display the price of the trip with seat booking.
- Select if you want to reserve an entire sleeping compartment or a single berth and calculate the new price.
- When booking single berths indicate for each passenger whether the they are male of female. In that case the seats will be in different compartments.
- When booking entire sleeping compartments, select one, two or three person compartments (3 person compartments only in blue sleeping cars).
- You can book a regular compartment for your group without special requests or special compartments (e.g. for the disabled, pet compartments, compartments with shower). You can only select one type of special compartment at a time. If you want to select e.g. hypoallergenic compartments, pet compartments or compartments for the disabled select the berths on the car layout.
- If you purchase a return ticket please make your selections for both trips.
Sleeping car amenities
Double-deck sleeping cars have a wide range of modern services for all passengers, e.g. adjoining compartments for families and easily accessible sleeping berths for disabled passengers.
The blue sleeping cars also offer a comfortable overnight trip between southern Finland and Lapland.
Read more about sleeping cars on the Onboard services page.
- mainly on InterCity trains on over three hour routes
- products include e.g. railway classic meatballs and mashed potatoes, garnished Reissumies rye bread and Karelian pies
- the interior exhudes a warm atmosphere throughout the restaurant car
- ontrains to the north and on domestic east-west services
- products include e.g. apple lemonade, gigantic meat pie and rustic ham omelette
- 70s theme with photos and plastic bar stools
Frequently asked questions
According to customer surveys and feedback customers would like more competitive products and price level. Night and CarTrain tickets will also be reviewed on that basis.
Three different ticket types can be selected at one time and in total a maximum of 10 passengers.
The lower (blue sleeping cars) or lower and middle berths (double decker sleeping cars) can be equipped with a safety net so that the child does not fall down from the berth. You can ask for a safety net when purchasing tickets from station ticket offices or by calling VR Customer Care, tel. 0600 41 900.
Multi-ticket seat bookings are not shown in My information. Customers receive an e-mail message when booking seats.
When you register as a new Veturi customer the special offers will be displayed within about 5 minutes of joining.
The winter in Lapland is full of experiences. Northern Finland offers plenty of choices for those who want to exercise outdoors or relax. We have put together some tips for travelling in Lapland.