Apply for compensation or refund
By virtue of the Railway Transport Act and the Regulation on railways' responsibilities (in effect as of 3.12.2009), you may apply for compensation if
- your long-distance train runs over 60 min late;
- the delay entails supplementary costs for you;
- your luggage is damaged during rail journey.
You may apply for compensation
- by filling in a refund form (price of train ticket partly refunded when long-distance train runs over 60 min late) or
- by filling in a compensation application form (for compensation of other costs generated by delay or damage).
For details on refunding and compensation, please view Regulation on railways' responsibilities and Other compensations.
1 Delayed long-distance rail journey
You may apply for a refund if your long-distance train runs over 60 min late. Please fill in the electronic form below. If you have a long-distance 30 days pass or a multiticket, please see point 2. The minimum refund to be paid is 4 euro.
2 Delays of 60 minutes or more in rail services between Finland and Russia
You can apply for compensation for train trips made between Finland and Russia if the train is delayed by more than 60 minutes at the destination station stated on your ticket.
- You can receive a 25% compensation from VR for train tickets for services between Finland and Russia if the train is delayed by 60-119 minutes or 50% if the train is delayed by 120 minutes or more.
- If the tickets have been purchased from Russian Railways (RZD), you must apply for compensation in line with the compensation procedure of Russian Railways.
- Passengers do not have the right to a compensation if they have received information that the train's departure will be delayed before purchasing their tickets.
3. Refunds on Helsinki region zone area season tickets
Refunds are paid to Helsinki region zone area season ticket holders if rail services experience major delays or are cancelled. Refunds are paid as follows:
14-30-day season ticket holders may receive a 20% refund on the season ticket price if over ten percent of commuter services have been more than ten minutes late or cancelled during the month in question, and even one day of the season ticket's period of validity falls within this period.
Over 30 day season ticket holders (31-365 days) may receive a 20% discount for 30 days of the ticket price if over ten percent of commuter services have been more than ten minutes late or cancelled during the month in question, and even one day of the season ticket's period of validity falls within this period.
4. Compensation of costs generated by delay or damage
- You may apply for compensation of damage caused by delayed rail service or loss of luggage or damage to luggage.
- You may at the same time apply for refund caused by delayed long-distance rail service over 60 min, compensation of extra costs caused by the delay and of loss or damage of luggage.
- A long-distance season ticket and multiticket maybe partly refunded, i.e. for long-distance journeys with an over 60 min delay. The pass having expired, please submit a compensation application with the relevant delay notices that you have received from the train conductor. The season ticket or a copy must be attached to the claim for compensation.
In the above cases, please fill in a pdf-format compensation application form .
P.O. Box 54
The original train ticket and the original receipts for the extra costs generated must be attached to the compensation request.
In the above cases, please fill in a pdf-format compensation application form.
The form shall then be submitted to a railway station or sent by post to VR Customer Care: VR-Yhtymä Oy, Matkustajaliikenne, Asiakaspalautteet, P.O.Box 54, 11101 Riihimäki with the original train ticket and the original receipts for the extra costs generated.
5. International compensation for delays
The international compensation for delays applies to rail services in EU countries and Switzerland and Norway with the exception of rail services which have been granted an exemption by EU countries. For instance, rail services between Finland and Russia are exempted from the international compensation procedure. For the terms and conditions in the traffic between Finland and Russia, see Terms and conditions of sale of tickets for services between Finland and Russia.
Compensation is 25% of ticket price if the train is delayed 60-119 minutes and 50% if the delay is 120 minutes or more. The compensation is paid in cash but sums of less than €4 are not paid. The compensation is calculated on the fare of the delayed train including any seat, couchette or berth reservation but not including any service charges. Passengers shall ask for a confirmation of the delay from the onboard staff of the delayed train or the staff at the station at which they get off the train. InterRail Passes and other Passes are subject to other regulations.
If you have purchased the ticket from VR send the compensation request to VR within two months of the end of the journey to:
P.O. Box 488
The original tickets and confirmation of the delay must be attached to the compensation request.
International compensation for delays when travelling with a pass
The EU regulation does not contain rules on compensation for delays when the passenger holds a rail pass (for instance InterRail).
Practices concerning passes valid in one coutry (e.g. InterRail One Country Pass) depend on the regulations applied in the country in question.
If the passenger holds an InterRail Global Pass (valid in all InterRail countries), compensation for delays may be paid by Eurail Group.
The prerequisite, however, is that during the journey at least three delays have occurred of which the passenger has proof.
The delays have had to occur in EU countries or Norway or Switzerland and each delay shall be at least 60 minutes. Compensations under € 16 are not paid.
For more detailed information go to Eurail Group’s site at
Eurail Group processes the compensation request and makes a decision on whether to pay compensation to the customer.
Rights for rail passengers
Did you know...
that, as a consumer customer, you have the right to have a disagreement concerning your train trip resolved by the Consumer Disputes Board?
Further information: www.kuluttajariita.fi/en