Travel on night trains in a seat or in a sleeping compartment in a one, two or three person compartment. Some night trains have car-carrier wagons so you can transport your car with the inexpensive CarTrain package.
Timetables and CarTrain packages
Night train timetables can be easily viewed in VR Online Shop. You can view route alternatives also on the night train timetables page.
Travel in a sleeping compartment or day car seat.
You can purchase a CarTrain package from the VR Online Shop.
How to purchase
You can now buy a CarTrain package from the VR Online Shop. Before you start to purchase a CarTrain package please have your registration book at hand to check for instance your car's dimensions during ticket purchasing.
1. Choose a route. Select from the stations between which you can transport your car.
2. The screen shows the selected car-carrier routes for the chosen date and ticket prices. Select the route and enter the requested information in the appropriate fields.
3. Select berth or seat tickets. If you travel on a seat you can select a seat by selecting seating preference from the drop-down menu and select a seat from the car layout. When travelling in a sleeping car select suitable berths or compartments for yourself or your group from the drop-down menu.
4. Check your car's details from your registration book. If the car does not fit into the space reserved for it the car space reservation will be cancelled. VR is not liable for costs arising from the cancellation.
5. Please state also whether you have a ski box etc. on the roof.
6. Enter the car's dimensions in the appropriate fields and choose whether you want to drive your car into the car-carrier wagon yourself or have VR do it for you. If you travel often on the car-carrier train you might consider registering with Veturi, VR's loyalty programme. When you have registered as a customer your contact information and car details are stored in the system and your next purchase of a CarTrain package goes quickly and easily.
7. Check the information you provided in the shopping cart and continue to ticket payment.
Children aged 10 and younger travel free of charge on night trains with a parent in the same sleeping compartment if a berth is not booked for the child. You must inform VR if a child will travel with you when buying your tickets.
Children under the age of 6 do not need tickets. Get your tickets permitting children aged 6 to 10-to travel free of charge from ticket offices or by phone from VR Customer Care.
Loading your car
Check the loading times on your ticket and arrive at the loading site well in advance. The vehicles are loaded in the order that they arrive at the loading site. A marking on the ticket does not guarantee a specific space but only the fact that a space of sufficient height is available.
Load your car yourself
Only the driver may be inside the car when it is loaded on the car-carrier wagon.
All personal belongings needed during the train journey shall be removed from the car before loading.
The car shall be locked and fresh air nozzles shall be closed during transport. Specific instructions applying to your car make shall be followed.
The driver shall always drive a car-trailer combination on the car-carrier wagon.
When VR loads your car
If you cannot load your car yourself VR can in exceptional cases do it for you. However, loadings effected by VR have to be always agreed beforehand when you make the order.
Park your car in the car-carrier wagon loading site parking space on the departure date. You can check the location of the parking space from VR Customer Care or a VR station booking office.
Leave your keys at the departure station booking office, in Tampere at the platform office at platform 1, in Helsinki at station service.
Car keys left at a VR office can be collected at the booking office of the destination station (in Helsinki at station service).
VR does not bear responsibility if the vehicle cannot be loaded due to causes beyond VR's control.
If you wish you can have your car transported to your destination station 1-5 days before you travel. VR will take care of unloading the car.
Delays in vehicle loading / unloading are not compensated.
Register for Veturi
If you travel often on the car-carrier train you might consider registering for Veturi. Registering your details allows us to provide you with better service in the Online Shop.
Additional information on Veturi loyalty program
- in trains to the north and in domestic east-west services
- products include e.g. apple lemonade, gigantic meat pie and rustic ham omelette
- 70s theme with photos and plastic bar stools
Frequently asked questions
According to customer surveys and feedback customers would like more competitive products and price level. Night and CarTrain tickets will also be reviewed on that basis.
The lower (blue sleeping cars) or lower and middle berths (double decker sleeping cars) can be equipped with a safety net so that the child does not fall down from the berth. You can ask for a safety net when purchasing tickets from station ticket offices or by calling VR Customer Care, tel. 0600 41 900.
Children aged 10 and younger travel free of charge on night trains with a parent in the same sleeping compartment if a berth is not booked for the child. (Please note: one child with one adult per berth). Train tickets entitling a child to travel free of charge are available at ticket offices and by contacting VR Customer Care by phone. Children aged between 11 and 16 need a berth of their own when travelling in a sleeping car. When passengers are selected children are counted as adults.
You can purchase CarTrain packages one year before departure. Veturi customers can search for seats 60 days before the trip in the Online Shop's My information or from a ticket office or by calling VR Custome Care, tel. 0600 41 900. If you buy a CarTrain package less than 60 days before the trip you will receive the tickers when purchasing the tickets.
It's easy to transport skis onboard trains. The location of transport varies by train type. You can transport skis by train free of charge except when the skis are transported in the luggage van in blue cars. When transporting skis, please make sure that the skis do not cause nuisance to other passengers.
The winter in Lapland is full of experiences. Northern Finland offers plenty of choices for those who want to exercise outdoors or relax. We have put together some tips for travelling in Lapland.
The maximum permissible width of the car is 2.20 m.
Max. vehicle length is 5,05m including possible hitch
Over-wide/heavy vans cannot be transported in the covered car-carrier wagon. For instance, the following models cannot be transported: Ford Transit (100 T300 and larger), Ford Tourneo Custom, Nissan Primastar, Opel Vivaro, Renault Trafic, VW Transporter (new chassis 7/2003 ->), VW Transporter Long, VW Transporter Caravelle, VW Transporter Multivan, Toyota Proace and Hyundai H1.
The loaded car must fit into the car-carrier wagon so that the driver is able to exit the car easily.
Make sure that your van can be transported by calling VR Customer Care,
tel. 0600 41 902.